From Autonomicon Mk. II
The Tupolev 402 is a multi-purpose transatmospheric strategic airlifter and dropship. The Tu-402 was designed for delivering heavy machinery and personnel to remote, poorly-serviced areas on Soviet colonies or hostile landing zones in war torn areas.
Civilian variants have seen extensive service as commercial freighters for ramp-delivered cargo, used as emergency response for civilian evacuations/humanitarian relief efforts, and been equipped with water tanks for firefighting efforts.
The first Tu-402s were delivered to the Soviet Air Force in 2273 with specialized variants entering service in the Red Space Forces and Red Army the following year.
It first entered civilian service in 2275 with Aeroflot Airways and in the following decade was introduced to over a dozen foreign airlines.
- Tu-402D – Orbital Shock Troop Variant with gun turret for defensive purposes.
- Tu-402K – Zero G trainer.
- Tu-402LL – Enigne Testbed
- Tu-402M - Military Transport Version
- Tu-402MD – Long Range Military Transport Version
- Tu-402MD MT – Mobile Hospital
- Tu-402MD PS – Maritime Search and Rescue
- Tu-403 – Aerial Refueling Tanker
- Tu-408 – Airborne Command Post/Communications Relay Aircraft
- A-520 – Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircraft
- Tu-402TD – Commercial Variant: Complete removal of military equipment
- Tu-402T – Unarmed Civil Cargo Transport Version
- Tu-402TD-S – Civilian Mobile Hospital
- Tu-403 – Civil Aviation Version